Re: How to prevent modules from being loaded

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 13:11, Sven Luther wrote:
> > There's no discover* on this machine. So no danger from this direction.
> > Right?
>
> Discover is part of the base system though.

debootstrap doesn't install it, so what do you mean with this?

> > > magic also module loading.
> >
> > Which magic do you mean? Please teach me some. :)
>
> i don't know the details, but i believe it is in /etc/init.d/alsa or some
> other alsa startup scripts.

I'm interested in a more generic way to prevent modules from being
loaded.

We have achieved a long part of the way towards a universal stock kernel
image with modules for most setups without the need for manual kernel
configuration/compilation. But sometimes I need to prevent modules from
being loaded. E.g. for debugging sessions: Checking bug reports /
problems without specific subsystems/modules.

Even if it would work, a situation where I need to configure this in 3
different places violates the SPOT rule [1].

Thanks for considering.

bye,
  Roland

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch04s02.html#spot_rule