Creating kernel-latest-2.X-arch packages

Hi,

Summarizing a small discussion from before we intend to move kernel metapackages (kernel-image-2.6-386, for example) into their own source package so that it is possible to perform security updates on older versions without having to remove the metapackages there, add an epoch, or something equally disgusting. We call these new source packages kernel-latest-2.X-arch (-> "kernel-latest-2.6-sparc", "kernel-latest-2.4-i386") and all they contain is blank metapackages.

If you use Herbert's build system there are some fairly obvious bits that generate kernel metpackages that should be removed. They differ throughout our source packages so I trust that intelligent maintainers can just figure it out ;). Also, of course, those metapackages need to be removed from the control file.

Thanks for your cooperation..

--
Joshua Kwan