Help with config

Dear debianese,

I have a problem with may belong to a different list. I found no praticular HOWTO to setup the .config file. The information which is provided e.g. in xconfig or menuconfig mostly refers to insiders. Even the additional docu's are often not very helpful. Even following the advice in the docu I frequently built kernels (2.4.24, 2.4.26, 2.6.6 and 2.6.8) which simply did not run on my computer, because I apparently switched off an important feature. However, this trial and error with building new kernels takes a lot of time. Any hints to whom or which list or link I should turn?

All the best,
Eberhard
--
Eberhard von Kitzing