Re: kernel-image 2.4 i386 update

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:55:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:20:41PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> > * kernel-latest-2.4-i386
> >   - This is a NEW package that provides the meta packages that were
> >     previously provided by kernel-image-2.4.26-i386 and are currently
> >     provided by kernel-image-2.4.27-i386. The plan is for them to be
> >     removed from kernel-image-2.4.27-i386 and only provided by this
> >     new meta package. This package will need to be updated if
> >     a flavour is added or removed or when a kernel-image for
> >     a new upstream is uploaded. I have made this package achitecture
> >     specific as it is primarily concerened with flavours which
> >     are clearly architecture specific.
> >   - This is now in SVN under trunk/kernel-2.4/i386
> >   - For reference packages can be found in
> >     http://debian.vergenet.net/pending/
> >   - These have _not_ been uploaded to d.o

I just realized that having this package may add load to the security
team by increasing the number of packages they need to rebuild.  Normally
a kernel-image update uses the same package name as the current version
(thus no new kernel-latest is needed) but in the case of an ABI change,
this name changes.  Of course, how often does a security update change the
ABI?  I believe it did once w/ a ptrace exploit in woody.