kernel-source-2.4.27-4 :(

Hello,

It looks like due to a few ugly bugs with sparc assembly and a tg3.c
typo, it's looking like we'll need a kernel-source-2.4.27-4 soon.
Currently I'm not quite sure if tg3 will work with the firmware, due to
a stray & that caused an invalid pointer type warning.

For the rest, this revision will not affect anyone but sparc. But I think I
will wait for -3 to enter sarge first - it is not critical if -4 does
not make sarge. However, if binutils 2.15-1 goes in, -4 will need to
enter as well (the new patch, 065_copy_user_parens.diff, fixes the build
against binutils 2.15-1 - see #266772.)

So just so we can really make this upload count, I ask everyone to
add anything that should be merged into kernel-source-2.4.27 into the
SVN tree at

/kernel/kernel-2.4/source/kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/debian/patches

and add it to the debian/patches/series/2.4.27-4 file. I'm quite tired
of uploading kernel-source-2.4.27, which is why i'm making this special
request. :) So please test your shiny new kernels and make 2.4.27-4 the
best and hopefully last kernel-source-2.4.27 upload before sarge..

A brief note on how the series files work. They define what patches to
add or subtract for a given release. The single downside of this is that
you may not reap patches from debian/patches, because they are needed to
unpatch existing trees of older versions. The feature described here is
preserving functionality from Herbert's old monolithic patches.

So, for example, Norbert told me the 018_core_cia_1G.diff in -1 and -2
was bogus, so series/2.4.27-3 only (unfortunately) contains:

- 018_core_cia_1G.diff.

series/2.4.27-4 currently contains:

+ 065_copy_user_parens.diff
+ 066_dep_fw_loader.diff
+ 067_tg3_ampersand.diff

This allows for a monolithic grouping of patches for a release, without
the need to lump them all together. Cool, isn't it? Also better than
dpatch in that you don't need to source some file providing the
boilerplate functions..

--
Joshua Kwan