Re: Debian or vanilla kernel - best of both worlds possible?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 05:35:07PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > The good news is that the Debian patch only creates files in debian/,
> > which will make it apply cleanly even to vanilla kernel sources. Is it
> > planned (documented as a committment of the kernel team) that this
> > will stay that way? If yes, one could check out the Debian
> > subdirectory without checking out the "real" kernel, which would
> > greatly help in reducing download volume.
>
> Only the debian directory is found in the svn repo.

So it is best checked out directly into an unpacked kernel tree?

> > Are the .svn directories inside kernel-source-2.6.7_2.6.7-4.diff.gz
> > left there intentionally?

> No, it is an error. before building, one should always do a svn
> export, to remove any cruft and local inconsistency. I had this
> problem, and do that now, apparently Jens didn't for the 2.6.7-4
> upload.

Would dpkg-buildpackage's -i option solve this issue? Or is an export
really needed.

> Hope these small answers will help some,

They do, thanks.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29