Re: 2.6.8 release

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:55:02AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:54:08AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > the revision or the version is about the same amount of work to get it
> > > being used. So no gain there.
> >
> > And its too late for d-i anyway, was probably already last week. Even my
> > 2.6.7-4 .udeb kernels didn't make it in.
>
> Well, if we have to keep 2.6.7 for d-i moving to 2.6.8 doesn't make a
> whole lot of sense, it basically doubles the maintaince overhead..

Not sure, it all depends on if we can convince the d-i folk to do a new build
with only new 2.6 kernels.

All will depend on how we argue for going to 2.6.8, so what i really think we
need is a mail written to debian-boot, debian-release, ftp-masters and
debian-kernel, which explains in detail the reason of such choice. You and
william are probably the best placed person to write such a mail.

What would be nice would be to not enter in the debian technical details, like
NEW handling and such, but only in the kernel management and security reasons
why it may be good to do so.

<flame>
And anyway, if they don't bother to reply, we can just go ahead and move our
operations to 2.6.8, and remove 2.6.7, and it will be their own self fault :)))
</flame>