Re: Installing Sarge on Alpha

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:07:02PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Horms,
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:14:34PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:50:09PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > it was a pci "fix" patch from Herbert Xu that b0rks,
> > > hch has thrown it out for 2.6.7-1.
>
> > > you may want to look at #253787.
>
> > Thanks, that does sill seem to be present.
> > I will rectify this in the SVN tree ASAP
> > and it should be fixed in the next release,
> > likely kernel-source-2.4.26-4.
>
> Thanks for the quick response to this issue.
>
> What is the expected timeline for this kernel-source package to be
> uploaded?

If there are no objections from other members of the kernel team
I can have this ready today or tomorrow. (Likely tomorrow as
I have a full day today and I don't want to rush and make some
silly mistake.)

> What is the expected timeline for kernel-image packages built from these
> sources to be uploaded?

I can make i386 kernel-images available at the same time as the
kernel-source. I don't handle other architectures so I can't speak for
them.

> I'm sorry that I didn't realize this bug had been closed.  The release
> team is currently working on putting together an aggressive schedule for
> the sarge freeze, and there's agreement that this is a bug that needs to
> be fixed before debian-installer can be frozen.  To meet our current
> tentative release schedule, we need a fixed
> kernel-image-2.4.26-1-generic to reach unstable by 31July.  Do you have
> time for the necessary uploads?  If not, is there anything I can do to
> help?  I would need some hand-holding to get up to speed on exactly how
> kernel packages are prepared, but I'm happy to help with alpha builds of
> the actual kernel-images, if nothing else.

Including this bug, I am only aware of 3 bugs against
kernel-source-2.4.26 of particular concern.

(that does not mean I won't look into the other bugs against
 the package, just that they are not a priority)

253787 (this bug): Fix pending as per this discussion.
257120 (ipsec):    Fix in SVN already
257001 (m68k):     m68k is known to be higly problematic on 2.4
                   After some discussion on debian-kernel I plan
		   to mark it as wontfix.

If you are aware of other problems please send them to debian-kernel.
I will endevour to look into them ASAP.

--
Horms