Re: Question regarding kernel policy: Why ext2 as module?

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:57:49PM +1000, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:
> I think it does. From the daily sarge netinst CD 18 Jul 04:
>
> aurich:/tmp# gunzip initrd.gz
> aurich:/tmp# file initrd
> initrd: Linux rev 0.0 ext2 filesystem data
>
> Which brings me back to one of my original points: Why do the i386
> kernels have ext2 compiled in and the architecture-optimised kernels

Because they chickened out in having it modular :).

> don't? Is the reason maybe that the Debian Installer needs this?

Definitively not, as the powerpc kernels have all the filesystems (and ide
drivers) modular, and it still works just fine.

> As a side note, I'm just trying to understand why I should invest
> substantial amounts of work only because we don't have ext2 compiled

Because it is not going to change. And as said, if other have no trouble
handling it, why should you ?