Re: Question regarding kernel policy: Why ext2 as module?

Hi Francesco

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 18:53, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 08:58:00PM +1000, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:
> > > Could it be possible to boot into a minimal initrd, as one generated by
> > > mkinitrd for example, and then use this to mount the larger ramdisk into
> > > one of the /dev/ram devices or something, and then pivot_root into this ?
> >
> > The chief problem seems to be accessing the image for the larger
> > ramdisk: If I want to mount it, it needs to be accessible as a file by
> > mount. Therefore it needs to be part of the initial (cramfs) initrd
> > image. This in turn is where I have a problem because cramfs only
> > supports files up to 16MB. Maybe I'm overlooking something very obvious
> > here...
> >
> You can embed the starndard cramfs into a cpio file along with other
> files and use an initramfs with 2.6. All stuff is accessible at
> user-space level then.

Excellent hint! Thanks a lot! And it's even better: cramfs is not
required at all. Rather, I can just put the root filesystem into a
gzipped cpio file instead of into a gzipped ext2 image and that's it.

Now my only remaining question is: What kernel versions support this?
All 2.6 kernels currently in Debian? What about 2.4 kernels in Debian?

> --
> Francesco P. Lovergine

Best regards
Andree