Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:50:22PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:17:47PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, you don't like the patch, and Herbert didn't, now, the question is
> > what about the functionality ? Do you also discard it because it is not
> > the one true way of kernel booting, or do you find it acceptable ?
>
> As it's stated in the bug you can draw nify graphics from userland using
> fbdev.

I wonder why for some bugs the discussion is followed up here, and for
others it is not. I suppose this is only the case for new bugs. Maybe we
should set the maintainer of all those older bugs to the lists
(supposedly they are still marked Herbert, and send to him.

Also, about the fbdev stuff, this would ideed be nice, now the question
is how soon can this userland method be used, nad what proportion of the
early boot messages still get shown.

We are showing the penguin boot logo anyway, so something should be
possible.

Also, i imagine we could do something like this, which would look rather
nice :

  Have the fbdev draw not only the boot logo, but a full screen
  background image as well, sort of what this hack does. The per cpu
  logos would appear on top of this, and there would be a darker area on
  this background image, where the log messages would appear in
  transparency, either full or with one of those nifty patches which
  make the log messages smaller (with the driver foo ... [OK|Failed]
  kind of thingy.

  All this would be controled from a kernel option, which would offer
  either to disable it at all, or the verbosity of messages.