Re: 2.6.7

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 03:47:20PM +0200, Christian Heim wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2004 15:21 schrieb Jens Schmalzing:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Christian Heim writes:
> > > But I've tested [the vesafb patch] now for you.
> > >
> > > Doesn't compile at all.
> >
> > Where did you get the kernel source tree from?  The build Works very
> > well here, using kernel-source-2.6.7_2.6.7-2.
>
> In my lack of knowledge, i've grabbed the vanilla sources, added Christoph
> Hellwig's debian-patches (http://verein.lst.de/~hch/debian-2.6.7.tgz), added
> your vesafb_fix and tried to compile these.
>
> But now, I'm a little bit smarter ...

We really need to get 2.6.7 out in the open. How long has it been
already, two weeks or three maybe ?

Anyway, i am CCing ftpmasters, in hope to get some feedback.

So, ftpmasters, i know you are probably busy either with other debian
stuff, or real life, but i would like to bring two points to your
attention :

  1) Well, there is this matter of the 2.6.7 kernel-source packages, as
  well as the port related patches packages which it would be nice to
  have in unstable quickly (at least on my box 2.6.7 solve a nasty box
  freeze, and i belive other rather important bugs are fixed by it).

  2) In general, this waiting for each new kernel version for NEW queue
  processing is a bit problematic for good quality debian/kernel
  packaging, especially so near the sarge release (hopefully). I
  understand that they may be issues with just allowing the package in
  quickly, but i would like to know from you what we as debian kernel
  packager team can do to help you review the new packages quickly ?
  Some preprocessing of the diffs maybe or something such ? What do you
  usually do when examining a new kernel version ?

Please provide some feedback over this instead of this heavt silence
that is the usual response to this kind of inquiries.