Re: sata raid 1 (hardware)

Nicola Bonelli wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have an Intel server (motherboard SE7210TP1-E, sata raid integrato).
Debian woody does not recognize the controller so I installed a custom
kernel with sata drivers and then I installed woody.
My problema is that woody sees 2 disk while I think just 1 disk must
be seen (since I have 2 disk configured in raid 1).
Can anyone help me, please?

Whenever you are talking about drives and how many are detected, then that is specific to the kernel, not Debian. The two disks will be most likely detected as individual disks because the SATA "hardware" raid is not supported by Linux. It would be helpful if you posted the output of `lspci -v` so that we would know what type of raid controller, if any actually exists.

Anyway, in almost all cases (especially for the cheap raid solutions on mass-market motherboards), it is more efficient to set up two individual drives and set up software RAID in Linux on the partitions you want. Cheap hardware RAID is more of a gimmik than a real feature.

- Adam