Re: initrd on installed kernels

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 02:00:00PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Jeff Bailey <jbailey@raspberryginger.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 03:35, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> >
> >> RE Jens' mail: the initrd used is the stock one, I didn't change
> >> anything (yet).
> >
> > Please note that the initrd is generated when you install your kernel
> > (or when you tell it to do so...)
> >
> >> I do agree that having tons of unused drivers builtin isn't a Good
> >> Thing, but I was wondering whether some kind of compromise between
> >> what we had (non-initrd, "quick" boot) and what we have (initrd,
> >> "slow" boot) could be found.
> >
> > Can you say specifically where it's being slow?  Most of my boxes take
> > about 80 seconds from the time it stops answering ping to the time that
> > it starts again.  (So that's shutdown of filesystems, BIOS reboot, grub
> > with its 5 second pause, kernel load, initrd load with a further 5
> > second pause and then bootup to network).
> >
> > Having not only specific time differences to work from, but also where
> > it's taking the time would be useful to know.  It really shouldn't spend
> > a significant amount of time in the initrd at all.
> >
> > Tks,
> > Jeff Bailey
>
> Actually initrd should be faster than a monolithic kernel. The
> monolithic kernel would try to initialize all the build-in drivers
> which can take a significant time (like seconds) for some.

On my notebook it takes ages to load the kernel image. With initrd it takes
a lot longer to load, since initrd is so big.. Once the kernel is running,
hdd access is much faster, but in the initial stage, it seems as slow as
haven't been able to convince the harddisk yet to load a little faster
during boot.

Christian