Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

William Lee Irwin III writes:

> I'm getting a different story from every single person I talk to, so
> something resembling an authoritative answer would be very helpful.

For Debian's purposes, I believe that Joe's summary is correct: DFSG
requires that anything without source be removed.  As far as I know,
that covers all the firmware under discussion.  I don't have a list of
affected files/drivers.

I believe that chunks with licenses that appear GPL-incompatible are
being worked on upstream (Greg K-H made a posting to linux-kernel
earlier this week mentioning the particular case that spawned this
thread), so I hope his first set becomes empty.

The broader discussion is not whether Debian should remove binary
firmware, but whether the upstream kernel has to remove it too.

Michael