Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

* Josh Triplett (josh.trip@verizon.net) [040617 23:55]:
> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > You speak as if this has no negative effects.  In fact, it does.
> > By removing, let's say, the tg3 driver, you make Debian unusable for a
> > large percentage of users.  Those users turn to other distributions who,

> Usefulness is not an excuse for distributing non-free sofware, or for
> violating the GPL or any other license; at one point, many people
> "needed" netscape, but that doesn't mean netscape should have been in
> main.  In any case, the tg3 driver works fine without the firmware on
> most cards it supports; the firmware is only needed in a few cases.

Please seperate two issues:
1. Are we distributing undistributalbe files?
2. Are we distributing non-free files in main?

This discussion was about 1., not about 2.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/