Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

@ 17/06/2004 01:06 : wrote Michael Poole :

Raul Miller writes:

The deception is calling it "great lengths."  When I said the GPL
"deals with collective works in just two paragraphs" you focused on
the one where they are mentioned by name and entirely ignored the
other (because you don't like what it says?).
You seem to be ignoring everything the GPL says about "works based on
the Program".

Maybe you don't realize it, but a "mere aggregation" is also a work
based on the Program: it is a collective work.  Exactly how many
collective works are covered by that phrase is open to debate, but you
cannot ignore the GPL's treatment of such works.

Michael

Not under the terms of the GPL. The GPL says (in its section #0): << a "work based on the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law >>. _Derivative_ and _under_ _copyright_ _law_ are the keywords here. As I said innumerous time today, collective (anthology) works and derivative works are very distinct beasts under copyright law.

--
br,M