Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

@ 17/06/2004 12:26 : wrote Thiemo Seufer :

>Humberto Massa wrote: [snip]

>>>Fine. The copyright for the compilation lies by the one who did the
>>>compilation. This is Linus Torvalds, I guess.
>>>
>>>Thiemo
>>
>>not here in BR. Or at least not in the way you _seem_ to be implying.
>

>I referred only to the inclusion of some firmware in the kernel.
>
>[snip: lengthy explanation]
>
>>Easy, huh? extrapolate for ten+ years of patching and aggregating and
>>you'll get where we are today.
>

>The firmware typically wasn't patched, and nothing is derived from it.
>

>Thiemo

Exactly my point. (You'll see I am agreeing with you in many points). My
personal conclusions of this whole matter is the following:

The upstream kernel *should* remove non-freely-redistributable firmware
from their tree.

Debian should remove those, too (for good), while the upstream doesn't
do its part.

Furthermore, Debian should move to non-free freely-distributable but
non-modifiable *or* without-source firmware.

--
br,M