Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 09:41, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:01:52PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > At best that solves a third of the problem.
>
> It solves the problem at hand -- that Debian has no permission to
> distribute the file.  You can now go back to wanking about firmware all
> you like.  I shan't bother with that.

Debian now has permission to distribute the firmware. But in the
process, it has lost permission to distribute other parts of the kernel.

I'm not sure how simply I can put this:
 - This is not wanking.
 - This is not related to the DFSG or SC at all.
 - This is an accusation of copyright infringement by a party whose
software Debian distributes, and should be treated seriously.

It also does not solve the problem in the way the release manager said
it needs to be:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/06/msg00064.html

This solution is legally and technically unacceptable. Whether I believe
it violates the SC is not relevant.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>