Re: debian boot CDs & G5

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 12:41:54PM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:37:31PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sven Luther writes:
> >
> > > So, we only need to trim the discover database to what is in the
> > > initrd, or what we want to load at this stage ?
> >
> > Using discover is pointless if you already know what to load.
>
> Does discover have any arguments to say *what* you want to discover?
>
> Like 'discover --network-only' ?

Not on the command line, but with a config file :

Files
       /etc/discover-modprobe.conf
             This configuration file defines the types of modules to load
	     by default, and specific modules not to load.

and :

$ cat /etc/discover-modprobe.conf
# $Progeny: discover-modprobe.conf 4108 2004-02-23 21:56:41Z imurdock $

# Load modules for the following device types.
types="audio bridge broadband display fixeddisk \
       humaninput imaging miscellaneous modem network \
       optical printer removabledisk tape video"

# Don't ever load the foo, bar, or baz modules.
#skip="foo bar baz"

# Lines below this point have been automatically added by
# discover-modprobe(8) to disable the loading of modules that have
# previously crashed the machine:

I guess modifying it so it takes command line arguments, or a command
line argument to specify an alternate config file at least.

> Please don't assume the root filesystem is going to be on a local disk
> also.. Discover probably needs some work to understand things like:
>
> * Root on nfs
> * Root on network block device/iscsi device
> * Root USB storage
> * Root on firewire storage

Huh ? This would be for loading the nfs and network modules, or the usb
or firewire ones, right ? I am not sure it handles those, which would be
one more reason to use discover for this. Especially since discover is
then later used to load all the rest of the modules.

> I can do the root on nfs work if someone can point me at which packages
> to look at and some documentation on how it's all supposed to work.

Documentation ? What for, you have the source code for it. Well, there
is also a mkinitrd manpage, but i am not sure that is really all that
helpfull, as for the code, i find it rather obscure myself, but then, ...

That said, well, i don't know what Herbert's intentions are with regard
to initrd-tools, but i somehow feel that this one is well linked to the
kernel package, and maybe it would be wise for the kernel team to
somehow take responsability for it.