Re: [wli@holomorphy.com: Re: NMU: kernel]

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:34:00PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:02:46PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 07:58:36PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > Anything else is a maintainance nightmare in the long term.
> >
> > Sure, but it provides for localized testing before large scale
> > deployement later on.
>
> Please also note that having different kernel sources for each
> architecture is also a nightmare for the security team, who actually
> have to maintain this once Sarge is released.

Well, i have been doing security builds for powerpc, and even apus,
altough i was not officially the apus maintainer, so i know what you
speak from from the inside. I don't find this particularly more a
nightmare than if it was a common source. Sure the fact that the
kernel-source for 2.2.10 or something such got lost was problematic, but
this is probably more of a failure of the debian archive and pool system
than really a problem for the kernel-patch system.