Re: Debian kernel maintainter takeover

* Christian T. Steigies (cts@debian.org) [040517 16:10]:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 03:35:34PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > All I wish is that we reduce the number of source packages for the
> > kernel, to ease the load for the security team.

> I don't see how this reduces the load for the security team.

Well, I'm not part of the security team, so my answers are not
authoritative. Martin Schulz has said it, see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/04/msg06282.html ;
please read that mail for the full reasons.

As I understood the security team, the number of kernel source
packages just needs to be reduced. At the moment, we have e.g.
kernel-source-2.4.19  testing   2.4.19-11   all source
kernel-source-2.4.20  testing   2.4.20-14   all source
kernel-source-2.4.21  testing   2.4.21-8    all source
kernel-source-2.4.22  testing   2.4.22-7    all source
kernel-source-2.4.24  testing   2.4.24-3    all source
kernel-source-2.4.25  testing   2.4.25-1    all source
in testing. If we manage to reduce this to two versions (one fast one,
and one slow one), that would be a step forward.

> I don't know if
> I am allowed to say this, but nobody told me it is not ok. I built all the
> recent security updates for m68k, the security team did _nothing_ for m68k.
> Don't get this wrong, they patched the kernel-source or gave me patches
> before the vulnerability was disclosed so I could build m68k patches and
> images, but they did not build any of the m68k images, nor did they test
> them AFAIK, I tested them on my m68k machines. How would one source package
> reduce the load of the security team?

Well, we have two issues right now:
1. kernel-source and -binary-packages are independend in their walk
down to sarge, so we have sometimes just too much packages there.
2. If different archs depend on different kernel versions, it's
necessary to patch more kernel-source-packages.
These two issues are - as far as I can see - the main showstoppers,
but our current 11 kernel-source-packages and 48 image packages are
way too much.

Of course, getting m68k to the fast architectures would be fun. ;)

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/