Debian kernel maintainter takeover

Hi all,

Looking at this list, there has not been many messages related to the actual kernel package over the last few weeks. A few questions and some comments,

1. How and who will take over the lead of kernel maintenance?

I'm assuming that maintenance will be closer to what we have with X than what we have now where Herbert seemed to be doing most of the work (at least it seems this way). Nevertheless we will still need someone to take the lead and at least coordinate the effort.

2. Where will we have the kernel sources? Will these reside in a CVS? Or bitkeeper?

I'm assuming that the kernel source code itself will be maintained using some sort of revision control so that we know not only what patches were applied to the kernel, but also what patches are from *whom* and for *what*.

3. The current kernel source is quite different from the vanilla kernel. Should we try to maintain the extensive set of patches that are applied to the Debian kernel (and are not Debian specific)? Or should we revert to the vanilla kernel and not backport things from 2.6.x kernel to 2.4.x (eg. IPsec)?

IMHO, I would think that the best way to go would be with the vanilla kernel or as close as possible to vanilla kernel, but I would like to get some other opinions.

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com