Re: Problems building VMWare modules for debian 2.6.3 kernel

> The installation failed with trying to compile the headers.  The
> relevant parts of the output from the installation script, is attached
> below.

Some comments on the error messages:

> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.3.2", while you are trying to use
> "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.3". This configuration is not recommended and VMware
> Workstation may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
> compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
> "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.3" anyway? [no] yes

I don't know how significant this is.  For a normal application, I'm
pretty sure 3.3.2 vs. 3.3.3 wouldn't have any incompatibilities.  But
there may be problems for the kernel?

In any case, I probably won't be able to get hold of the same 3.3.2
gcc that the kernel was compiled with.

[snip!]
> scripts/file2alias.c:30:46: ../include/linux/mod_devicetable.h: No such file or directory
> scripts/file2alias.c:47: warning: `struct usb_device_id' declared inside parameter list
> scripts/file2alias.c:47: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
> scripts/file2alias.c: In function `do_usb_entry':
> scripts/file2alias.c:49: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> scripts/file2alias.c:49: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
[snip!]

I think this is the significant error message.  The build process
tries running the following makefile:
	/lib/modules/2.6.3-1-686/build/Makefile
which is a symlink:
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           34 Mar 31 21:34 Makefile -> ../kernel-headers-2.6.3-1/Makefile

Could the problem be in this makefile, I wonder?  Does it need some
extra environment set before being run?

Thanx!