Re: Careful with dist-upgrade in unstable at the moment

thanks to all!!! an "apt update -t sid"   on my pc upgraded it to below:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.101.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.1.0-0-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 7.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP ProBook 430 G1
System Version: A3009CD20303

Op do 22 dec. 2022 om 16:51 schreef Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org>:
On Thursday, 22 December 2022 14:31:38 CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 11:42:17 CET Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > > I think they above quoted script is absolutely horrific.
> >
> > I made that statement for 2 reasons:
> > 1) It tries do a dist-upgrade 'at all cost' (imo ofc)
> > 2) `dpkg --set-selection` completely messes up APT's 'database' wrt
> > manually and automatically installed packages ... which in turn
> > causes the need to full-/dist-upgrade.
>
> I made no statement at all about this script.  So in case you were
> assuming that I somehow intended to justify it,

That was not my intention. Sorry if I made it appear that way.
If I want to address an issue to someone personally, I'd put that person in
the To: field, like I have done now.

If I want to address the 'general public', I sent it to the list.

The `dpkg --set-selection` command imo 'messes up' the packages state as it
they all get marked as manually installed and therefor it was for me related
to what I said above that in my previous mail.

--
Luc Castermans
mailto:luc.castermans@gmail.com