Re: Careful with dist-upgrade in unstable at the moment

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 11:01:07 CET Sedat Dilek wrote:
> P.S.:  If you are Debian/unstable AMD64 user and are experienced
> enough, you can try on YOUR OWN RISK.
>
> To pass daily dist-upgrades I did the following:
>
> [ Set all QT v5.15.6 packages on hold ]
> root# VER="5.15..6" ; for p in $( dpkg -l | grep $VER | awk '/^ii/
> {print $2}' ) ; do echo "[ $p ]" ; echo "$p" "hold" | dpkg
> --set-selections ; done

I must be sounding like a broken record player (by now), but:

Stop using *dist-*upgrade by DEFAULT.

And apparently it's (also) needed to say that apt/apt-get/aptitude tells you
what it's about to do. If it's telling you that it'll remove (almost) all of
KDE and you don't want that, you can say 'No' and not go through with that.

The normal/safe-upgrade is what you should be using by default and only when
you want to force something, you'd do a dist-/full-upgrade and then you
evaluate what it's about to do and when you think "Yes, that's what I want",
then and only then you go through with it.

I think they above quoted script is absolutely horrific.

My 0.02