Re: Akonadi using 100% CPU resources

Le 15.04.2022 02:18, piorunz a écrit :
I noticed that akonadi services are using 100% of 16-core CPU resources
on my machine. I don't even use Kmail, I use Thunderbird. I'm not even
sure what akonadi is for. I have following packages installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep akonadi | awk {'print $2'}
akonadi-backend-mysql
…
libkf5pimcommonakonadi5abi1:amd64

System is Debian Testing.

How can I get rid of that akonadi, or disable it?

I don't have any Akonadi package on my system. Akonadi is like Evolution Server on Gnome, a central database service for groupware functions.

I can't uninstall akonadi-server, because it wants to uninstall with it:
akonadi-server* kaddressbook* kde-standard* kdepim-runtime* kmail*
knotes* korganizer* task-kde-desktop*
And dozens of libraries.

Some packages in your list are only meta or dependencies packages : packages whom sole purpose is to simplify KDE installation with useful dependencies (i.e. they install a bunch of packages). Have a look for example at kde-standard. The others are all KDEPIM related packages.

Using Thunderbird you don't need any KDEPIM packages as Thunderbird and its extensions can provide similar functionalities.

There is a quick and easy way to get rid of akonadi : build fake package. But I prefer to open Aptitude or Synaptic and look at reverse dependencies, this way I learn how to select KDE packages for my next install.

For building fake package, just install equivs. There is plenty of tutorials on how to use it. Then you can for example build and install a new kde-standard package without KDEPIM dependencies (kmail, knote, korganizer and so on). You will then easily remove KDEPIM packages and Akonadi.

For reverse dependencies you will need to mark as "manual installed" all task-kde-desktop and kde-standard dependency packages. So we start with dependencies! Using Aptitude or Synaptic will help a lot. I recommend Aptitude as it gives more informations.

- Opening task-kde-desktop, you will see that it depends on kde-standard. Mark all other packages as manual installed (eventually forgeting some of them that you don't need).
- Do the same with kde-standard
- Now you can remove these 2 meta packages. It shouldn't ask to remove anything else. - Then manually remove KDEPIM packages. Here you will probably need to have a look at reverse dependencies to understand what will happened.

There is a very useful feature in Aptitude for thes task : in package list mode, the bottom screen gives you short informations about every packages. Pressing "i" keyboard key, you can switch between the 3 info screen: first describe the package, second describe what will happened with the action selected (update, remove, …), third show you why a package is installed (reverse dependencies). All these info screen are short, for more accurate informations you will need to open the dependencies solutions proposed by aptitude (sometimes there is many) and to open reverse dependencies in package screen.

Don't be afraid, all of this is easy.

Hope this help
---
Librement,
Xavier Brochard xavier@alternatif.org
La liberté est à l'homme ce que les ailes sont à l'oiseau (Jean-Pierre Rosnay)