Re: Future of KDE packages in Debian

Dear Aurélien.

Aurélien COUDERC - 23.01.22, 23:17:32 CET:
> please consider that events being commented here have already
> happened, had consequences and it’s not like you can go back in time.
>
> Debian like most human groups has rules on how to become and stay a
> member of the community. If you’re interested in them you can find
> pointers at : https://wiki.debian.org/DAManager
> The discussions on this have long passed usefulness and are more and
> more offtopic for a Debian mailing list for KDE users.

I think when Debian account managers remove Debian developer status from
someone who contributed a lot to KDE packages in Debian, it is fair
enough for users to express their frustration with that.

Muting discussion is a pattern I have seen so often in Debian that I
meanwhile unsubscribed from various development related mailing lists of
Debian. Also cause it hurt reading what I read there. I am not a Debian
developer and this in part is cause as my motivation increased to become
one I saw more and more that Debian at least in part has become a toxic
environment. I do not like to be involved with the kind of politics I
have seen in Debian in the last years. In my perception it certainly did
not get better.

That written, I don't know what it was this time. I cannot say for sure
whether it was justified or not. I could try to dig it all up, but most
likely after I try to read the mails related to this I would have more
question marks than before. I would not be surprised if there would not
at least be two sides of the story. Both perfectly valid. And the
solution would have been to talk *with* one another in a constructive
way.

I am not (yet) ready to jump ship at the moment. Well in part I did by
moving to Devuan cause of the utter failure within Debian to resolve the
conflict regarding the introduction of Systemd, however, I understand
perfectly well that without the activity of the Debian Qt/KDE team there
would be no KDE Plasma and Co in Devuan.

I am grateful for that.

But at the same time I feel it is fair enough for users of KDE software
in Debian to express their frustration with what happened in a
*respectful* way.

From what I have seen happening within Debian within the last years, I
am not likely to increase my formal engagement with the project unless
there would be an in-depth transformation process of the culture
regarding how to handle conflict within the project. I am just not ready
to deal with the amount of toxicity I have seen within the last years.
There is a culture within Debian to stifle conflict instead of moving
through and then resolving it, and that clearly doesn't work. Conflicts
are a natural part of human relationships.

It is sad, cause on the other hand I usually got along well with members
of the Qt/KDE team and at least helped a bit here and there, not with
packaging, but with communication with users, bug triaging and things
like that.

Fortunately enough KDE project mostly appears to be a much more
welcoming place.

It is sad to see what is happening from within Debian to Debian, but I
see myself not in a position to do much about it.

Best,
--
Martin