Re: Need help fixing Akonadi

Hey,

> > By the way, ~/.config/akonadi* are configuration files! So you hopefully
> > have backup those, as I expect two of your problems would been fixed, if
> > you recover those files.
>
> Not a problem. I made sure I read the files and wrote down any important
> information before deleting them. I should be able to rebuild these because
> Akonadi doesn't touch the underlying data (right? RIGHT?!). It's sometimes
> just easier to start fresh, which is what I want to do, anyhow.

if you modify data you will touch the underlying data, but if you just read
the content Akonadi will do no changes to the data.
It looks differently if you change data within any program, as Akonadi not
always directly save the changed content to disk, this can mean that the
underlying data is not up-to-date and the changes are only stored inside the
Akonadi database ( this is mostly an issue for on disk resources). If I
correctly followed the devs this has changed with newer Akonadi versions and
the data is always pushed directly to disk. That is also a risk, if you just
delete the Akonadi database.

> >> 1) Akonadi keeps downloading from my IMAP account at top speed (thereby
> >> hogging all the available bandwidth on my network) and never seems to
> >> finish.
> >
> > Sure it needs to download every mail again from your IMAP account.
>
> The trouble, though, is that it _has_ finished downloading every message,
> and it continues to download. Perhaps there's a server side error, perhaps
> there's a KMail error. I just don't know how to navigate the Akonadi
> console to find what's causing the traffic jam.

run Akonadi with logging enabled:
QT_LOGGING_RULES="*=true;qt.*=false" akonadictl restart

or even log the complete IMAP traffic:
export KIMAP_LOGFILE=/tmp/imap.log
QT_LOGGING_RULES="*=true;qt.*=false" akonadictl restart

see also https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP

> >> 2) Akonadi no longer recognises my Maildir as a KMail Mail Folder
> >> and refuses to sync the subfolders. However, I can load my Maildir as a
> >> simple Maildir folder.
> >> 3) Akonadi no longer loads contacts from any of my
> >> vCard dirs
> >
> > The default settings have changed in between several KDEPIM versions, this
> > is what is stored in .config/akonadi/ files. Recover those files from
> > backups, than these two resources are availalabe again, after you
> > restarted Akonadi.

> I could have followed this advice yesterday before, in an unrelated
> incident, I accidentally destroyed my most recent backups by resizing
> partitions (hint: moving btrfs partitions is not a failsafe operation!) :-P
> I don't mind  rebuilding the databases. If I can figure out what the
> maildir and vCard directory plugins are choking on, I might be able to fix
> the offending files by hand and/or file an intelligent bug report. But,
> again, I don't know which logs to review.

The resources need to point to the correct files and folders, than Akonadi
will able to read their content.