Re: 5.23 starting move to testing

Erwan David ha scritto:
> Le 19/10/2021 à 21:52, Shai Berger a écrit :
>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:37:14 +0200 (CEST)
>> Borden <borden_c@tutanota.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 17 Oct 2021, 07:16 by brad@fineby.me.uk:
>>>>
>>> I'm sure this has been answered before, but this seems to be a
>>> perennial issue wherever there's a major upgrade. Since Testing is
>>> supposed to be free of known system-breaking errors, why can't the
>>> packages be held back until the it's all ready?
>>>
>> This not only has been answered before in general -- it has been
>> effectively discussed on this very list, only last week.
>>
>> As a user, you can use "apt upgrade" or "aptitude safe-upgrade". With
>> either of these, you will not get half-system updates. If the whole
>> upgrade is ready, you'll get it; if it isn't, you will get suggestions
>> to either keep older versions of packages with updates, or drop the
>> not-yet-updated packages. Then, you should choose what to do according
>> to your taste and the selection of not-yet-updated packages.
>>
>> Asking for any non-stable flavor to act like stable is making the
>> packagers' work harder, and IMO as a grateful user who is not involved
>> in packaging, that is completely uncalled for.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> 	Shai.
>>

> With apt upgrade on testing, you often get partial non working upgrade.
> I was recently told to "only do complete upgarde", but when I asked how
> to know the upgrade is compelte, I got no answer.
>
> Tonight apt list --upgradable lists me

Exactly: safe-upgrade is not safe when you need a bunch of packages to
migrated at the same time. You would get a mix which is going to be worse. In
many cases the complete upgrade is better. This is about Shai's point.

That said, Erwin, I don't have an answer to your question. Probably stricter
constraints in the packages may help, but not completely and it  may be
complicated to implement.

--
Luigi