Re: Able to write to read-only pdf files

On Sonntag, 15. August 2021 00:04:18 CEST Helge Reimer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 14. August 2021, 15:21:47 CEST schrieb Adriano Vilela Barbosa:
> > Has anybody had this problem? Can anybody reproduce it?
>
> I do not think this behavior is wrong.
> As the owner of a file, in a folder with write access, I must of course be
> able to edit this file.
> Otherwise I wouldn't be able to change the authorizations.
> Once set to read-only, it would be read-only forever.
> And why should you write-protect your own files from yourself?

>From the file system's perspective the behavior is not wrong. As you
said, the owner of a read-only file A is of course able to create a copy
B of that file, write the changed content into B, make B read-only, make
A writable and remove A.

However, an editor should never do this automatically! It should ask if
the user really wants to change the read-only file.

Write-protecting my own files makes sense to prevent automatic / accidental
changes of these files.

Frank