Re: Able to write to read-only pdf files

Il giorno sab 14 ago 2021 alle ore 15:39 Adriano Vilela Barbosa <adriano.vilela@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hello,

Yesterday I came across a very weird behavior while annotating a pdf
file in Okular. Long story short: I opened a read-only pdf file
(permissions: 400), inserted some comments and hit the save button. At
this point, I thought I had been working on a write-enabled copy of
the file. After a while, I realized that I was actually working on the
read-only version of the file, that somehow got saved to disk when I
hit the save icon. Okular was not only able to save the file to disk,
but the file permissions were changed to 644.

I initially thought this was an Okular problem. However, after some
more testing, I was able to reproduce the problem with Xournal. This
makes me think that the problem is not with Okular or Xournal, but
with some common library used by both of these packages (maybe
libpoppler?).

Has anybody had this problem? Can anybody reproduce it?

I'm using Debian testing.

Thanks a lot,

Adriano

Hi Adriano,
the read-only permission on the pdf file just prevents it's contents to be changed. It still can be deleted if the directory it belongs to is not write protected.
Editor programs usually do not directly change the contents of a file but rather save them to a temporary new one (with default permissions), delete the original and then rename the new file replacing the original one. I don't know if Okular works this way, but I think it quite likely does.

Have a good release day!

Bruno