Re: Dolphin search does not work

Miguel A. Vallejo - 24.12.20, 14:26:02 CET:
> Indexing the content of files is nice when you have only a few dozen
> files. When you have thousands and thousands of PDF files content
> indexing is just a nightmare, a big cpu/memory/disk waste and does not
> work at all. Baloo should be completely optional and never be

Oh, it works here on dual SSD BTRFS RAID 1:

% LANG=en balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Total files indexed: 395,505
Files waiting for content indexing: 0
Files failed to index: 0
Current size of index is 3.89 GiB

And it is very nice in combination with Alt-Space for invoking KRunner.

I added some exclude folders though to reduce the amount of files a bit –
from '.config/baloofilerc'

exclude filters=[…],*.ytdl

exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/.cache/,$HOME/.local/,[… some backup and
archival folders…]

I reported *.ydtl for youtube-dl and AFAIR it has been added upstream as
a filter.

> activated by default. Same thing for Akonadi. My only gripe with KDE
> is it is full of "utilities" and "features" enabled by default that
> produce more problems than benefits. One you disable / uninstall all
> of them, KDE works like a charm.

Well actually I removed the executable permission from
akonadi_indexing_agent again. Cause here I indeed I'd say it does not
really work very well, at least not with lots of mail. Why?

Mostly cause it blocks out foreground activity like I click on a mail in
KMail and like to see its contents. But also cause the whole indexing
traffic goes through the database, be it MariaDB or PostgreSQL. Basically
I have seen the laptop at limits with I/O to SSDs for minutes and more.
Here I can confirm that it bogs down other workloads. When during an
Akonadi upgrade akonadi_indexing_agent is replaced with a new version
and thus is executable again, I usually notice it cause at some time
when the indexing kicks in the laptop becomes so slow, that I usually
kick the akonadi_indexing_agent process, but then also stop Akonadi,
cause the database would otherwise continue to do lots of I/O for
minutes.

Anyway to cut a long story short: The issues are known. Daniel Vrátil
was working on it ("make indexing great again") but while he completed
parts of the work there is still a piece missing.

> Of course it is just my opinion.

Of course your mileage may vary, especially in case you have still files
on a hard disk.

Ciao,
--
Martin