Re: Upgrade partially some packages (Plasma 5.19. 5 - 3) on testing broke plasma.

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 16:20, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
<perezmeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> That also means you have great expectations from us :-D

Are we being unreasonable assuming that we can turn our computers off
and back on and have them still boot?

> But let me assure you that if this kind of things happens is because
> (as Norbert said) we are humans and this is a **huge** stack to work
> on, it requires a lot of time and detail, so things might slip through
> from time to time.

That's fair, KDE is infuriatingly complex and the volunteers do this
at their own expense with already stretched resources.

Nevertheless, it's concerning to learn the amount of manual work
involved. I sympathise with the extreme tedium this must entail. I
also hoped that the Debian rulers would have evolved adequate controls
over 30 years of packaging to prevent unbootable operating system
errors from happening. Or, at least, if they do happen, have useful
error messages to shorten the guesswork. It's very frustrating with no
useful error messages to go on search engines and have to guess what
the problem might be - only to be led down one dead end after another.
In accountancy, we call the former "preventative controls" and the
latter "corrective controls."

The question then is what controls or automation can be added to the
process to reduce the likelihood of these sorts of errors from
happening in the future?

> Wanna check? Be sure to start packaging and come
> and join us!

That's a bluff you know we won't call. It's analogous to saying "Run
for office and fix the government if you don't like it." As much as
I'd love to help, I don't have the resources or knowledge to begin
assisting. As you acknowledged in your previous sentence, KDE "is a
**huge** stack to work on, it requires a lot of time and detail" - how
could us plebs possibly get up to speed in a reasonable time?

Anyhow, is there a way to roll the repos back to 5.17 until 5.19 is
fully ready or am I stuck with an unbootable operating system until
5.19 goes downstream?