KATE & regex search/replace across multiple lines

I love KATE and use it a lot. Unfortunately it seems to have a weird setting somewhere (associated with either a file or session) that affects regex search and replace.

I have been editing multiple files recently using regex's. Usually KATE allows \n to match the end-of-line which lets me continue the pattern on a second line. I'm editing a file right now where KATE doesn't do that. For some reason it's keeping me on one line.

I've opened another (previously saved) session and tried it there and KATE recognizes the \n properly so it's not the version of KATE that's at fault. I've tried switching the End-Of-Line mode between Unix and MS-DOS (and back) but that didn't help. I can't find any setting that deals with the issue.

It's also not the particular document source AFAICT because a couple days ago, I took a 2-year-old .sla (Scribus) file, removed all but one page that I wanted to use as a template then saved that page, opened it in KATE and removed all the "Copy of" styles that had accumulated in it.

I did the same thing today (but saved a different page) but I can't get the regex to match beyond a single line. When I add a \n at the end of the regex, it finds 0 matches (if I instead add a $, it reports the same number of matches as the initial regex, so my regex is finding to the end of the line).

Any ideas on what's going wrong?