Re: Packaging resources

Hi Sandro,

I started my question from pure engineering background and interest, as I like to understand the situation.

Your answer triggered 2 questions/observations:
- ratio of #packages / #packagers
- what is KDE?

Answering the last: for me KDE is Qt, Frameworks and Plasma.    Krita, etc. I'd exclude from it.
But only Qt, Frameworks and Plasma consists of 300+ packages (I counted using https://kdesrc-build.kde.org/ ) and
for KDE compared to other packages.

Give the above ratio for KDE I wonder if/how further automation could help to reduce manual effort. Another alternative I could see is to change upstream to release Debian packages straight away.  But I guess this idea is not new.

Regards,

Luc

Op ma 24 feb. 2020 om 00:40 schreef Sandro Knauß <hefee@debian.org>:
Hey,

> >      While I am studying Debian packaging I like to understand why KDE
> >      packaging needs so much effort. For example the LibreOffice package
> >      seems almost instantly available as soon as an up-stream release
> >      became
> >      available. Does LibreOffice need less Debian packaging effort?
> >
> >    Well, it depends. On one side I think kde stuff is composed of many
> >    more
> >    source packages.
>
> Yes, having only one source package helps for testbuilding and
> -installing massively.
>
> >    On the other side Rene, the LO maintainer, has been doing a wonderful
> >    job
> >    in keeping it up to date. Now that this does not means we in the Qt/KDE
>
> Which also involves following upstream and doing packaging changes as
> they are needed so I can just prepare an upload when it's time to do so
> (actcually in many cases for final releases days in advance and at'ed
> for the release time.) and by following every alpha,beta,rc etc.

Well please don't forget KDE has much more software to package, that have very
different needs and dependency chains. E.g. calligra a complete office suite
(like libreoffice), Kontact an email client (like thunderbird), krita a image
manipulation program (gimp),...
That's why it is not fair to compare on application against something more
than 100 applications and the KDE team is round about 5 core people. So the
maintainer/package ratio inside the KDE team is not great.
Packaging KDE stuff is NOT harder than other packaging, but it is about the
amount to package and the people doing this work that makes it slow.

hefee

--
Luc Castermans
mailto:luc.castermans@gmail.com