Upgrading to PostgreSQL 12

In Sid the various PostgreSQL packages have been upgraded to version 12 and
I've just successfully upgraded to them.

I've read people say that upgrading PostgreSQL was complicated, but that's not
my experience. Here is what I did:

- quit KMail/Kontact/etc
$ akonadictl stop
[$ stop any other programs if they use postgresql]
# <upgrade postgresql packages to 12 with apt/aptitude>
# pg_dropcluster --stop 12 main
# pg_upgradecluster 11 main

I then usually reboot the machine to make sure it'll use PostgreSQL 12 for
akonadi. If you verified that KMail still works, you can remove the old cluster
with
# pg_dropcluster 11 main
# <purge postgresql 11 packages with apt/aptitude>

If you were using postgresql-11-pg-checksums, you'll have to manually install
postgresql-12-pg-checksums package

HTH,
  Diederik