Re: Akonadi 4:18.08.3-6 automatically resolves mutiple merge candidates errors

Hi,

Thanks for summerizing this so nicely, that will help to explain to
ftpmasters, why we needs this in Buster.

> A fix for Debian Buster definitely seems possible now that Sandro
> backported the fix, however I do not know Sandro's plans there. It may
> very well be that the Akonadi pachttps://phabricator.kde.org/D19487kages
from Debian Sid could just be
> installed in Buster, but I did not try this. In case it would break you
> would get to keep the pieces as usual :). On any account only try this
> if you are experienced enough with APT pinning and APT in general and
> have a backup.

I actually have a backport in mind, for these patches, but before requesting
this, the package needs to enter testing.

It is possible to  install the same packages on a stable system ( i tried it
on a friends computer, who was hit by this issue), but this is NOT recommend!
Because you loose the further upgrade path. I would recommend to wait for
several days until the patch is available on Buster.

Just for be more clear, the links are not correct, I fix this:
https://phabricator.kde.org/D20243
https://phabricator.kde.org/D19487

> [1] Automatic recovery from Multiple Merge Candidates error
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D21455

did you tried this patch locally?

> [2] For some details see also "Common Infrastructure" in:
>
> March and April in KDE PIM
>
> https://www.dvratil.cz/2019/05/march-and-april-in-kde-pim/

okay this reference another patch I want to backport additionally:
https://phabricator.kde.org/D19983

> [3] KMail: "Multiple Merge Candidates" error and how to fix it
>
> https://www.dvratil.cz/2017/01/kmail-multiple-merge-candidates-error-and-how
> -to-fix-it/

that article is referring to another patchset, that was merged two years ago.