file save dialogues broken in gtk apps

This just started happening today after I rebooted my computer. I first noticed it in Firefox then Thunderbird when I tried to save files. In Firefox, it's files I'm trying to download from a site. In Thunderbird, it's trying to save attachments. In both cases, when I try to save, the dialogue locks the application. I have to kill the application to get it to respond again. I can't save the files.

I could however open an attachment - in this case in LibreOffice Writer - but when I tried to save it Writer locked up. However I am able to save modified documents in Scribus and Kate which are QT based, so I think its a conflict with the gtk file save dialog.

I'm running Debian/Buster on an AMD64 system.