Re: Plasma 5 unusuable after latest buster "upgrade"

On 2018-08-06 05:05 AM, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> hat am 6. August 2018 um 06:38 geschrieben:

Yesterday I started to do my usual evening Buster apt full-upgrade but
couldn't get it to work. I was getting messages about ldconfig not being
in the path.

I did another apt update this evening but ran into the same problem with
apt full-upgrade.

I rebooted to recovery mode and ran the upgrade there. It went OK.
However when I restarted, after logging in with sddm, Plasma 5 locked up
hard before bringing up the desktop. The computer wouldn't respond to
SysRq or Ctl-Alt-Del. It took a reset to reboot it.

The second time I managed to get into Plasma 5 but quickly was locked
into on virtual desktop. The applications on that desktop responded but
the task bar & pager were dead. Stopping and restarting Plasma left me
even worse off, as the running applications were overlapped on the
taskbar, which was still non-responsive.

I was able to log out using Ctl-Alt-Del and restarted in Gnome Fallback
(Metacity), which seemed to be running OK except that my monitor was
running in 1600x1200, which it doesn't actually support. It's usually in
1920x1080 and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I figured I'd just
install Gnome.

After I started Konsole I ran into the same full-upgrade issue as
before. So I rebooted into recovery mode again to complete the install.
Along the way, I tried Plasma again but it just does the hard lock now.
Gnome runs OK, once I adjusted the screen resolution (at least the
current Gnome makes that easy).

However it's still Gnome and I don't really think I want to spend the
time to figure out how to be productive in it. To me it just looks like
all flash and no substance. I want to get back to Plasma desperately.

Is it just my computer or are others having problems with Plasma too?

Hi Gary,

the latest on the new version of util-linux:
util-linux (2.32-0.4) unstable; urgency=medium

   The util-linux implementation of /bin/su is now used, replacing the
   one previously supplied by src:shadow (shipped in login package), and
   bringing Debian in line with other modern distributions. The two
   implementations are very similar but have some minor differences (and
   there might be more that was not yet noticed ofcourse), e.g.

   - new 'su' (with no args, i.e. when preserving the environment) also
     preserves PATH and IFS, while old su would always reset PATH and IFS
     even in 'preserve environment' mode.
   - su '' (empty user string) used to give root, but now returns an error.
   - previously su only had one pam config, but now 'su -' is configured
     separately in /etc/pam.d/su-l

   The first difference is probably the most user visible one. Doing
   plain 'su' is a really bad idea for many reasons, so using 'su -' is
   strongly recommended to always get a newly set up environment similar
   to a normal login. If you want to restore behaviour more similar to
   the previous one you can add 'ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes' in /etc/login.defs.

So, in short, use su - instead of su

That explains the apt full-upgrade problems but not the KDE/Plasma problems. Still, it's a start...

Thanks.

I'd left some processes running on my computer overnight. This morning the computer the computer had rebooted or panicked and was locked up with a pile of text/command line messages showing.

I reset but this morning Gnome wasn't running very well either. I'm not sure what the underlying problem is but after a few restarts, I'm now working with kernel 4.16.0-2 and Gnome over Xorg. So far it seems stable.

So perhaps the problem isn't Plasma but Wayland and it just shows a lot more with Plasma...