Re: systemctl restart sddm

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 11:50:51 PM CEST Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 11:42:32PM +0200, inkbottle wrote:
> > As some of you already know, since *completely uneventful* upgrade of
> > Friday, July 20, 2018, "sddm" does not start automatically anymore,
> > whether because something goes wrong at some point or because it doesn't
> > start at all, meaning it is not even invoked in the first place, that I
> > know not ;)
> >
> > Anyway, I'm not so unfortunate, because "startx", invoked as simple user
> > in a "tty" is working fine, and it is my workaround for the present, and
> > will be until I can find enough time to deal with it properly, and not
> > simply trying to worsen the situation.
> >
> > So, in my to-do list, first thing is: why should "sddm" start, at all, at
> > boot time?
>
> Are you asking what is the purpose of sddm?

No I was rather meaning, where, during the boot process, it is invoked. From
what script, or because of what line in a configuration file somewhere. I
mean, by default, Linux, will only start in a "console" sort of thing, no X or
any sort of windowing. "So why does it start?" That was the idea. Also, that
might differs from one distro to another; and be different today from what it
was in some past.