Re: systemctl restart sddm

On 7/22/18 5:42 PM, inkbottle wrote:
As some of you already know, since *completely uneventful* upgrade of Friday,
July 20, 2018, "sddm" does not start automatically anymore, whether because
something goes wrong at some point or because it doesn't start at all, meaning
it is not even invoked in the first place, that I know not ;)

Anyway, I'm not so unfortunate, because "startx", invoked as simple user in a
"tty" is working fine, and it is my workaround for the present, and will be
until I can find enough time to deal with it properly, and not simply trying
to worsen the situation.

So, in my to-do list, first thing is: why should "sddm" start, at all, at boot
time?

Chris

Try backing the kernel down to 4.16 or earlier (or just pick an earlier kernel at boot).  I have several VMs I use just to test the updates that don't start up sddm unless I start a tty login (not startx) process.  The offending kernel is currently 4.17.8-1.

--

...Bob