Re: Hanging plasmashell

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:11:40PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Jiri Kanicky - 14.06.18, 16:50:
> > Whatever you say does not make it right. If network is lost and you
> > have remote filesystems mounted, apps should keep working including
> > plasmashell.
>
> I did not say anything about right or wrong.
>
> And I think I expressed that I do not really agree with this design
> either.
>
> Anyway, this is not about right or wrong anyway.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Martin

In my experience NFS has never been good fit for roaming laptops.
Even a force unmount before suspend hook doesn't solve this, and IIRC
will fail because file descriptors are kept open and NFS does the safe
thing.

I've never trusted Windows' disconnected mapped drive support, so have
never tested it.

Does sshfs or syncthing work for your usecase?  I haven't been able to
hang plasmashell when the ssh server disappears due to changing
networks/locations.

Ideally I think that it would be neat if KDE could use something like
a combination of sshfs with a fuse overlayfs to handle writes to an
upper region when disconnected, and then sync then back to the lower
region (on the SSH server) once the correct network returns.

Easier than learning about Coda FS which was designed for this ;-)

Cheers,
Nicholas