Re: Please help with #865382

Tom & Karen Pino composed on 2017-07-09 22:19 (UTC-0600):

> ...Can't get X11 to work at all...

When this happens, a solution is almost always hardware dependent, yet, like
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865382 you've told us
virtually nothing about your hardware, and provided no logs from which clues or
potential help could come.

>From a vtty login you can find and collect such information. To facilitate this,
if it is not already installed, install and use MC. It's a fantastic 'swiss army
knife' text mode utility, able to locate and view all sorts of file types, edit
many, ftp and much much more, while still providing direct access to the shell.

Start by finding Xorg.0.log and sharing it via http://paste.debian.net/. You can
do a paste directly from the cmdline using pastebinit. Install with apt if
necessary.

Give us some useful hardware information. The utility inxi is a good start.
Install it if it isn't already installed, then share 'inxi -c0 -G'.
Alternatively, do 'lspci -nnk | grep -A4 VGA', or do both.

If /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists, show us what it contains. Same for
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

Other logs are usually useful if not necessary. Use pastebinit to show us dmesg
output and/or 'journalctl -b', after you have inspected them yourself for clues,
such as segfaults and warnings, using the viewer (F3) build into MC.

Look in /var/lib/systemd/coredump/. If it's not empty, provide a list of what it
contains.

/var/log/ might contain a log from lightdm or sddm. If it does, share that as well.

Try installing and running IceWM if you can. That would indicate a problem with
KDE rather than X.

When I do net installs, which is how I do most installs, I do only the most
basic minimal with networking that is possible, configure apt with
'APT::Install-Recommends "false";', then use apt to add whatever DE and other
packages I know I need. If you did similarly, maybe we need to see a pastebin of
the output from 'dpkg -l'.

IOW, help us help you.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/