Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:42:40 PM PDT Nick wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:39:35 -0700
>
> Shawn Sörbom <shawn@sorbom.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 15, 2017 11:19:22 PM PDT Nick wrote:
> > > JFTR, one alternative to Kmail might be 'Trojita' [1]
> > > - I haven't (yet) tried it, and it's not a KDE program,
> > > but it _is_ part of the KDE family, professionally
> > > developed, looks nice, well-liked and is pure-Qt
> > > so it fits well into a KDE environment.
> > > The only "downside" is that it's IMAP-only.
> > >
> > > [1] http://trojita.flaska.net/
>
> [...]
>
> > Subjectively, it feels fast, which I like.
>
> Great :) ... I've also read other folks comments to that effect ...
>
> > However, I noticed that it does not appear to have
> > threading support, which I use a lot for mailing lists.
>
> Um ... me too, but maybe you mean something different from the simple
> ability to show the component emails of a conversation in a branching
> structure that keeps replies grouped with the messages they replied to
> and which reflects the chronological sequence of the discussion ?
>
> Otherwise, the first screenshot at
> http://trojita.flaska.net/screenshots.html appears to show
> properly threaded messages ...
>
> > Lack of POP3 support is also an issue for anybody who
> > prefers reading local copies of their mail.
>
> Agreed.  Most ISPs limit how much email you can leave on their
> mailservers, and how long it can stay there ... so unless we each set up
> our own local mail-handling facilities (e.g. some spare box running
> fetchmail and Dovecot/Courier), which we then access via IMAP, then lack
> of POP3 is a show-stopper (other than for users who use only
> IMAP-accessible "unlimited storage" free webmail addresses).
>
> I don't know what the Trojita author's wishes are for handling of
> other mail protocols but if s/he would accept a patch then it might be
> possible to bolt on the POP3 engine from some other open-source email
> client.   I'll try to make time to look into that.
>
> > The addressbook feature is somewhat lacking. There
> > doesn't seem to be any ability to import contacts.
>
> Ah .. that would also be a major problem.
>
> > it is a nice lightweight alternative if you don't mind
> > those limitations
>
> Thanks for taking the trouble to try it out and post a review.
>
> Cheers
> Nick

There is a sorting menu item that includes the option to thread messages, but
all of the advanced sorting options are greyed out... At least this is the
case with the package I linked to. I am curious if the issue is merely due to
a build flag that was disabled.