Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 12:20:17 PM PDT fradev wrote:

> > > I use it too and I propose to suggest it, and not recommend it, exactly
> > > because it has it glitches and many people probably prefer other clients
> > > or
> > > just e-mail web interfaces even when using the Plasma desktop.
> >
> > I think that kde-standard needs to provide kmail, even if kmail is
> > "glitchy", btw, it works way better than the one in jessie. The same goes
> > for korganizer. kaddressbook and knotes are required for a sane kmail and
> > korganizer installation respectively.
>
> I agree that all these packages are useful for kmail and korganizer.
> However, especially when using multiple machines, a browser web can be said
> to be essential but  a complete mail suite is not. I have different
> computers but only one is used for e-mail, from my point of view is not
> useful to have kmail and friends installed by default on all my computers
> by default because they serve different purposes.
>
> And, again, I think that kmail and its complementary applications installed
> by default are too much for the general public. We power users have our
> needs but the majority out there has more simple needs. For a lot of people
> the web interface of their only e-mail account is more than enough, meaning
> that what they need is just a web browser.
>
> Francesco

But for a good "out of the box" experience, many people expect a mail client.
Look at Kubuntu. Personally kmail would be of the first packages I would
install on any KDE system that I would set up for an "average" user. A default
email solution is something any distro should have. For a KDE specific
solution, I don't think there is much else out there. If this were to come to
a vote I would say leave it in.