Re: [SOLVED] No SDDM on boot after upgrade, proprietary NVIDIA drivers

Dear Thom,

Am Dienstag, 28. Februar 2017, 19:26:30 CET schrieb Thom Castermans:
> Dear all,
>
> This is just for future reference and possibly to help others.
>
> Today I did an upgrade in testing and got, on a later boot, no SDDM login
> screen. I saw error messages scrolling by before I got TTY9. The last ones
> repeatedly said that SDDM was started and then stopped immediately. In the
> logs (`/var/log/kern.log`), I found that SDDM said that `Display server
> failed to start. Exiting`.
>
> I remembered and found in the APT logs that I had upgraded the kernel, but
> saw that the NVIDIA kernel module was not recompiled, as it does normally.
> Not sure why, maybe because it was a minor upgrade only? In any case,
> reinstalling `nvidia-kernel-dkms` to trigger the recompile did the trick
> for me: `aptitude reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms`. The first time booting got
> me a black screen for some reason, but the second boot (cold one this
> time), I was greeted by SDDM again.

I experienced the same problem. Executing “dkms autoinstall” fixed the problem
for me (similar to your solution). So, this problem has nothing to do with
KDE/Qt in Debian, but only with the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

Kind regards
Benjamin