Re: Before I install Debian

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:32:45 +1100
Keith Bainbridge <keithrbaugroups@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have I missed something here?
>
> .pdf files are portable,  right?
>

> How can I as a creator specify that you as the reader MUST use a
> specific program to read them?
>
> Keith Bainbridge
>
> 0447667468
>
> keithrbaugroups@gmail.com
>
> Sent from my APad
>
> On 11 Feb 2017 07:40, "John Culleton" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > All I need from Debian is Adobe Acrobat Reader. Is this available
> > with Debian?
> >
> > --
> > John Culleton
> > Wexfordpress
> > Book design and indexing.

The culprit in this case is the online company who does my taxes.
They send them direct to the Feds and the State of Maryland but offer
me the opportunity to view them on line and print them out for my files.
But these functions  on their system are inoperable unless my web
browser can use Adobe Acrobat Reader. I finally found a free copy of
AAR 7 that was in source form which I compiled and somehow Firefox
could employ. The problem was solved. They absolutely would not just
send me the pdf files. Security was their rationale. The Cups system
that comes with Slack 14.1 won't work with my printer
(though it will print test pages, go figure) so I booted
Knoppix 7.6 and printed the pages one at a time. But that is another
story. Cups works for others and prior versions (like on Knoppix) work
for me..

My taxes are filed and I have paper copies. Next year I may just get the
paper forms and fill them out manually.
--
John Culleton
Wexfordpress