Re: Is anyone else experiencing intermittent Plasma freezes as of very recently?

On 01/10/2017 08:10 AM, newbeewan@nativobject.net wrote:
Le 10/01/2017 à 00:29, fradev@inventati.org a écrit :
Hi
I'm on Debian Stretch but I'm not experiencing the issues you're
discussing
here. However I remember to have had similar issues with Plasma 5 and
Intel
drivers. As a workaround I used this /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
    Option      "TearFree"    "true"
    Option      "DRI"    "3"
EndSection
Given also the previous messages about this topic, enabling DRI3
indeed seems
to solve the problem. Anyhow, I discovered that the problem was with
the i8xx
i9xx display driver, provided by the automatically installed
xserver-xorg-video-intel package, which could be not required by new
hardware
as reported in the description:

This package provides the driver for the Intel i8xx and i9xx family of
chipsets [...] The use of this driver is discouraged if your hw is new
enough (ca. 2007 and newer). You can try uninstalling this driver and
let
the server use it's builtin modesetting driver instead.
I tried to uninstall this package as suggested and the problem was
solved:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-video-intel && sudo reboot
Ciao
Francesco

Hi,

I'm currently testing it and no crash since 3h...

But it couldn't work with my desktop which is using nouveau driver on an
nvidia graphic card...

Regards

Mourad

Yes, the symptoms are the same.

For the Intel I use the old linux-image-4.7.0-1 with no problem.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/testing - Plasma 5.8.4 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263