Akonadi indexing (was: Re: KDEPIM ready to be more broadly tested)

please no cc

Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016, 10:13:23 CEST schrieb Tim Ruehsen:
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:09:24 AM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[…]
> > It stores the index data it stores in ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db –
> > this directory totals to 2 GiB on my system. In case that Xapian database
> > is corrupted somehow, it may crash. So for a clean start, it may make
> > sense
> > to remove that directory as well.
>
> This directory contained three subdirs and there was not much data (< 1MB).
>
> > And well when I say remove, I rather suggest you move it out of the way,
> > instead of removing it immediately.
>
> Removed both and restarted KDE (logout / login).
>
> Now I get crashes
> Application: No such method 'agentName' in interface
> 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.AgentManager' at object path '/AgentManager'
> (signature 'ss') (akonadi_baloo_indexer), signal: Aborted
>
> akonadi_baloo_indexer(13140)/libakonadi: Unable to register service

AFAIK thats the old KDE SC 4 based indexer, which should not be running at
all.

martin@merkaba:~> ps aux | grep "[b]aloo"
martin    4104  0.0  1.8 5856360 298408 ?      SNl  Jul25   0:24 /usr/bin/
baloo_file

That is file based desktop search

martin@merkaba:~> ps aux | grep "[i]ndexing"
martin    4329  0.0  0.6 753312 104188 ?       SNl  Jul25   0:33 /usr/bin/
akonadi_indexing_agent --identifier akonadi_indexing_agent

This is Akonadi indexing.

I am not even sure how you can still have installed Akonadi baloo indexer when
using Qt 5 based Akonadi and to my knowledge meanwhile if you have new qt5/kf5
based kdepim you will also have Qt5 based Akonadi. Maybe there is a breaks/
replaces missing.

I suggest the following:

1) report a bug with reportbug againsd akonadi-server or so, can still be
reassigned. Give all necessary details including dpkg -l | egrep "akonadi|
kdepim" | cut -c-72

Please also provide this output here to this list.

2) make sure akonadi_baloo_indexer is gone for good. something like

apt purge $(which akonadi_baloo_indexer)

3) Move Akonadi indexing agent config + search_db out of the way once again
and reboot.

But first please really contribute by making a bug report.

> "org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_baloo_indexer" at dbus: ""
> Shutting down "0x1032bb0" ...
> KCrash: Application 'akonadi_baloo_indexer' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> KCrash: Connect sock_file=/usr/oms/.kde/socket-blitz-lx/kdeinit4__0
> Unable to start Dr. Konqi
> Not forwarding the crash to Apport.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer' returned with
> exit code 255 (Unknown error)
> akonadi_baloo_indexer(13148)/libakonadi: Unable to register service
> "org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_baloo_indexer" at dbus: ""
> KCrash: Application 'akonadi_baloo_indexer' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> Shutting down "0x1032bb0" ...
> KCrash: Connect sock_file=/usr/oms/.kde/socket-blitz-lx/kdeinit4__0
> Unable to start Dr. Konqi
> Not forwarding the crash to Apport.
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer' returned with
> exit code 255 (Unknown error)
> akonadi_baloo_indexer(13156)/libakonadi: Unable to register service
> "org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_baloo_indexer" at dbus: ""
> KCrash: Application 'akonadi_baloo_indexer' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> KCrash: Connect sock_file=/usr/oms/.kde/socket-blitz-lx/kdeinit4__0
>
> > As Sandro told, it needs to be "akonadi_indexing_agent" being active.
> > Additionally to that: You can´t configure Akonadi Search with
> > Systemsettings, Systemsetting just configured the desktop file search.
> > Basically the mail and contact indexing part of Baloo has been split out
> > and is now Akonadi search. Almost unchanged, except for search database
> > location.
>
> Thanks, good to know.
> "akonadi_indexing_agent" can't be something complicated than... how can it
> crash at all (and I saw crash often in the past). I couldn't find any -dbg
> packages, so the backtrace is pretty worthless.

It doesn´t crash. akonida_baloo_indexer crashes, not the indexing agent.

> > There is a way in KMail to disable fulltext indexing for folders, but as I
> > found out, Akonadi doesn´t respect that setting.
> >
> > I do think Akonadi Search doesn´t receive much love at the moment, and it
> > shows.
>
> That renders KMail at least incomplete. It worked perfect for me until KDE4
> came. From that point on it was getting worse and worse... If there was any
> easy way to convert all those emails from the last 15 years into a halfway
> working mail client I would do that instead of wasting my time with unloved
> and unsupported crap. But that is OT, and I am not giving up yet.

Tim, I didn´t write that it doesn´t work at all. It basically works here. But
its more rough than I think is good for an end user who wants to have it just
working out of the box.

What works here:

1) search in kmail with the search folders

2) address completion in kmail – just sometimes you have to type a few chars
and delete them again, then type again to make it work (known upstream bug)

3) contact search in krunner (alt-f2). needs plasma 5.7.

What does not work yet for me is mail full text search within krunner.

Further responses may take long time, I typed this all with left hand only, as
I fell onto right hand while dancing.

Thanks,
--
Martin